'91 190E 1800cc Throttle Body problem???!!

Hi all.... I'm hoping someone may be able to shed some light on a recent problem I've encountered with my 190E.... it is a 1991 model UK car...1800cc
engine (injected).
Whilst driving this afternoon, I noticed a substantial change in throttle response.... it feels as though there is no tension in the throttle cable and the motor revs very highly and freely once over about 2500 RPM.... it's now difficult to hold at a particular speed - as soon as 2500ish RPM is on the clock, it just takes off until I come off the throttle completely.
I have removed the airbox and checked the throttle cable assembly, and as far as I can see, it all looks ok, but there does seem to be a lot less resistance when manually opening the throttle (by hand) Spring is intact and in good order as far as I can tell, and there is no obvious damage....
Just wondering if anyone can offer some pointers / head me in the right direction....
Many thanks in advance,
Dave

Site Timeline