Cal's YJ-Air Spring setup Prototyped: 4.5" lift!

Hey, y'all. If you recall, I did a SOA on my 94 YH and some fender trimming to fit my 37" SuperSwamper SSRs (37x10.5 on 10 Black Rock Crawlers, 5 on 5.5").

With Teraflex/Revolver folding shackles front and back, I was getting a bit over 10 inches of articulation on each rear wheel. However, 3" of that was compression, and 7" was extension.

I hadn't yet installed bumpstops, so I was finding I was bottoming out pretty hard. The cheap, easy thing would have been to simply install some bumpstops. But that wouldn't have addressed my compression/extension imbalance.

So I finished today prototyping an Air Spring system (for the left rear, anyway). So far, it gives me a full 4.5" of active lift. That's 4.5" I can use to "cush" or stiffen my ride, for off-camber correction, or for giving a little more compression travel.

The key was to let it act passively when I don't want to use it, so it just acts as a soft bump stop, and allow the components to articulate as much as they can without restriction. It's basically got a 1/2-13 bolt (12" long) that sticks up through the frame (yes, drilled 5/8" hole through the frame) and telescopes inside a guide tube there. A 3/8 steel plate sits atop the ubolts, and the air spring attaches to the plate.

The plan is to dupe the right rear, then prototype the front with a similar set-up. Then have individual, 4 corner solenoid valve control. I think I'm going to need a second tank to augment the locker air tank.

I'll post pics and/or vid SOON!

Cal Wheeler

94 YJ Grant No Wheel No Steal system Dynatrac ProRock 60 rear w/ ARB Dynatrac Dana 44 Front w/ ARB 5.13 Gearing Herculiner interior 37x10.5 SuperSwamper SSRs Tom Woods CV shafts fore and aft JB Conversions SYE kit Upgraded Master Cylinder Custom Rear fuel/space swingaway rack Custom Extended rear fenders K&N filter NOS system with Propane Turbo 4xDoctor Rock Rails Removable Warn 9500i winch with elec. connects front and back iPod with rockin' tunes like Utah Saints, Static-X, Chemical Bros, and Liz Phair I Was Just BSing about the NOS and Propane.

Yet to do: Borla Headers and exhaust in a box waiting their turn! Tomken Doal battery tray Hellroaring dual batt combiner Safari Snorkel Individual 4 corner air spring suspension adjustment Front Fender extensions Waterproofing as per Mike Romain's suggestions

Reply to
Cal Wheeler

Cool!!! Pics ASAP please!

Reply to