weird problem - 91 560SEL door panel noise/jerk/sound

Hello!

1991 560SEL, 41,000 miles

Restored, original miles

I have this very annoying problem.... the front passenger side door crackles/jerks/makes noises when hitting the brake or going over any bump/crack on the road...... it is SO ANNOYING.

I tried to fix it in many ways - removed the panel, drove with just the door shell on and the sound was gone. So I knew it?s from the panel. Reinstalled the panel with some tape to stop the tension (if there was any), didn?t work. Unscrewed the door a little about 1cm further from the fender edge thinking maybe the door was screwed in too tight, didn?t work.

It is VERY annoying, it makes the car sound like it?s OLD. Does anyone have any idea about what could cause this? The driver side does have the noise too, but it is very MINOR. This side makes noise all the time, it is terrible. Anytime I break, go over a crack, a sewer, a bump, it makes this bad noise.

Is it just because it?s made of cheap material or what? Please help, thank you!

Reply to
zodiax

Have a passenger try applying pressure to various areas of the panel and see if that helps any? Perhaps using some kind of removable adhesive (like that poster putty) could help fix the panel to the door?

Though to say without being there... Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

On my 84 500SEL the same noise was caused by the door panel rubbing the door sill. To see if this is your problem, remove the door sill but leave the door panel on. If that fixes the problem, here is what I did. I put some strips of the wool looking part of Velcro on the sill where it would hit the door panel. It doesn't look great, but it works.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Paul

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: >
What do you mean by the door sill?

Is it that moulding type piece surrounding the door that?s attached to the body?

Reply to
zodiax

Door sill is the same as door threshold. The part where if this were a high SUV you'd step on to get in the car. It's plastic and pops off.

Reply to
marlinspike