What is the W designation ?

Anyone know the signifcance of the W in 280W?

thx

Reply to
Ontdaze

W stands for Wagon which is the German word for car.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I have never seen a Mercedes badged with a "W" such as 280W. Are you sure you're not referring to the chassis codes, such as W123 or W201, etc.?

Reply to
MTI

In the US MB dealers advertise their cars with designations like 280W - in that case it is easy as it must be a middle-class (W210 or W211), but in other countries S-Classes were sold with the 280 engines so in case of an S-Class it would mean the normal wheelbase version as the long- wheelbase version of the S-Class would be 280V.

Basically the system is simple: W = Wagen = car V = verlaengert (lengthened) = long-wheelbase C = Coupe R = roadster A = cabriolet S = station-wagon

Here in Germany we use the system a bit differently as we put the letter in front of the numbers and the numbers are not sales designations like 280, but the internal MB series code (Baureihe); e.g. S210 means a station wagon from the 210 series, W211 would mean a sedan from the 211 series.

What makes it a bit difficult is that many people only know about the W code and they put it in front of any series, e.g. W230 (the current SL series), but to be precise it is the R230.

Many people also do not know the station wagons have the S prefix so they say W211, but a station wagon from the 211 series is an S211.

Same with e.g. S-Classes, S220 is a regular weheelbase S-Class from the 220 series whereas V220 is a long- wheelbase car.

A bit complicated gets the system because e.g. all SLs had the W prefix before the 107 series, so e.g. W113 is correct, but not R113, but no W107 but only R107 (and C107 for the SLCs).

Juergen - W123

Reply to
Juergen .

[...]

Many people also do not know the station wagons have the S prefix so they say W211 Kombi, but a station wagon from the 211 series is an S211.

Same with e.g. S-Classes, W220 is a regular weheelbase S-Class from the 220 series whereas V220 is a long- wheelbase car.

A bit complicated gets the system because e.g. all SLs had the W prefix before the 107 series, so e.g. W113 is correct, but not R113 - on the other hand it's not W107 but only R107 (and C107 for the SLCs).

But as said, basically very simple.

Juergen - W123

Reply to
Juergen .

Juergen, in the US, MBUSA markets vehicles primarily by the "class" or badging on the car, ie, C230, E320, ML500, etc. not by chassis codes. However, once a US owner tries to order a part or accessory, they get introduced to the chassis codes ; )

Reply to
MTI

The W123 was allways referred to as the 123, that and the 124 are AFAIK it is the only ones generally referred to with their chassis model, at least in the UK anyway.

Personally I tend to refer to them myself with the chassis prefix as in 115,

123, 201 and 202 being my lineage :)
Reply to
Mjolinor