CDI and TDI

What do TDI and CDI stand for in the diesel mercedes?

Reply to
Cricket Rakita

TDI is a protected designation of Volkswagen and means Turbo Direct Injection; thus in Europe GM has to use the designation DTI for their engines with e.g. Opel and Vauxhall.

CDI is a protected designation by DaimlerChrysler and means Commonrail Direct Injection.

The direct means that the diesel oil is directly injected into the cylinder as opposed to older e.g. Mercedes which have a pre-chamber.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

tdi is a volkswagen, cdi = common rail direct injection

Reply to
127.0.0.1

Thanks, this helps me and may partner understand what we read.

We are in the market for a diesel mercedes with the intent of running bio-diesel through it.

Reply to
Cricket Rakita