What to buy?

I'm thinking of buying a Mercedes but not sure what to buy. I'm just a normal working Joe so I can't afford to go out and buy a new one. A friend recently bought a four year old C220 CDI which is very nice. Basically I'm thinking of something around 6 years old, probably a C180, C200 or C220. Which of these would be the best? Diesel or petrol, again which is the best buy. The car would be used daily for travelling to work and at weekends for longer journeys, but total mileage per year would be around 6000 miles. I'm over 50 so hoping for a reasonable insurance. The other option would be to go for a much older car perhaps a 190E. Any thoughts on that? Would the older models be easier to take care of from the point of view of less electronics? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Alex

Reply to
JAT

All depends on your capital (and maintenance) budget

I have a 1993 190E 2.0 (as well as a newer car). Runs well. Just spent some money on it but if I had sought advice here before commissioning the work I probably would have saved a fair bit.

I think a C-Class is nicer that a 190.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Get a 600 Pullman. This one's for sale:

The exclusivity would be hard to beat.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Yes but rust problems are worse as is a diminishing parts supply.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I've heard it said that the newer cars suffer more from rust than the older ones as they are not so well finished. Any comments?

Reply to
JAT

Beats me, I don't even like the newer ones.

Reply to
Richard Sexton