C200 CDI Auto

Anyone got any experience with a new C-Class C200 CDI auto? Currently have a C200K auto and find the 163bhp just about right. The new punitive company tax laws mean that my company car list has dropped down a little in terms of power. I have test driven a new C220 CDI auto and found it to be okay, but could only get hold of a C200 CDI Coupe manual

- which was also okay. What I do not know is what the auto box does to the C200 CDI 122bhp engine on the road. Is it really the slug that the brochure numbers suggest?

Neil UK

Reply to
Neil Lawson

I'll forget this derated model & settle for the C 220 instead !

Both are based on the same 2.2 litre engine so might as well get the most out from it. I find it somewhat stupid for them to base any taxes on power ratings as with diesels especially, even with slightly lower power but the much higher torque output can result in identical if not superior overall performance !

If they base it on say acceleration time or maximum road speed, that'll sound more meaningful but not classification based merely on power ratings or engine capacity etc. ! It seems a waste to me of building a 2.2 litre engine capable of higher output only to have it derated to a lower than optimum power & torque ratings !! On the other hand, it'll then seem more efficient use of resources & meaningful if say they build a 1.9 litre cDi charge-cooled diesel & make it output identical performance as the derated 2.2 litre unit !

Utimately the usable road performance (i.e. acceleration & maximum road speeds etc.) from the vehicle ought to be the thing which really matters instead of how much power, torque or engine capacity sort of relatively insignificant details. One pays tax based on the benefit potential derivable from the product being taxed instead of being carried away by the detals which need not (in itself) result in any increased tangible benefit to the product overall ! Time those tax buggers wake up to such realization.

Neil Laws> Anyone got any experience with a new C-Class C200 CDI auto? Currently

Reply to
House of Chin

I have a car with 122 hp output (my 10-yr old 190E 2-litre) and (4-speed) auto gearbox.

Its acceleration is perfectly respectable if you don't always want to win the Traffic-Lights Grand Prix. Not too bad on overtaking at 50 mph either, though my newer 3.2-l obviously does better.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling