why are aux. radiator fans not coming on?

Here I am again! My two small front aux. radiator fans are not turning on and I?m running hot because of it. Anyone know what activates these so I can fix it? Thanks

Reply to
acopper123

Well, there's a thermostat, a fuse and probably a relay. Take your pick of which of these is not working as it should.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Also check if the fans rotate easily. On my 190E 2.6 the high speed fan froze and blew the fuse. Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

Also, don't know where you're located, but in most cars, its unusual for the aux electric fan to come on unless it's very hot outside and/or the car is stationary or in slow moving traffic. Normally the regular fan should provide adequate cooling. I had a problem once on my 300SD and part of the circuit was turned on by the A/C being on and the refrigerant temp at the radiator being over a certain temp. It was controlled by a relay. There's probably another part to the circuit that turns it on if the coolant gets too hot too.

Reply to
trader4

"Tiger1" wrote: > and thermoswitch.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.

Reply to
acopper123

an an electric motor

Reply to
Vlad

"Vlad4" wrote: > On Thu, 05 May 2005 19:51:21 -0700, "T.G. Lambach" > wrote: > > >Well, there's a thermostat, a fuse and probably a relay. > >Take your pick of which of these is not working as it should. > > an an electric motor

Thanks for all the help on this one guys. I changed my temp control sensor and tested for current; the motor temp was checked and turned out to be o.k. A/C wouldn?t kick on fans because there was not enough pressure in system to activate it. Turns out there is a bad connection in the cluster and temp is reading erradic.

Reply to
acopper123

Because your auxillary fan clutch is shot. P.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Peter