1969 MGB GT Car Number

I am thinking about buying a 1969 MGB GT (a US model), from a gentleman who claims to have lost the title in a fire. He currently does not know the car's VIN number (car number) to get a replacement title.

Can anyone help me pinpoint the most likely location of the number plate for him? I asked him to look on the right side wing (fender) in front of the radiator diaphragm, but he claims it is not there.

He was able to give me the car's commission number, engine number and body number, however. Is there anywhere that records are accessible which correlate these numbers with a particular car number?

Thanks for the help,

Reed

Reply to
Reed

If the VIN number is not on the car then I'd leave well alone. Too much of a coincidence, not having the registration document (title) and the VIn number being missing! MG Rover have problems digging out details of new cars so there is little chance of them being able to give any info on that car. You could try asking on the MG Owners club

site for advice if you really want to buy this car.

Reply to
John

US cars started putting the VIN on the dash where it can be seen through the windshield.Mine is near the center of the dash to the left of the windshield support rail.Also there is a corresponding number on passenger side inner fender in front of the radiator support.

Reply to
Lazy Lenny