1998 MGF - How does season/optional extras affect asking price?

I am thinking of selling my MFG, I have owned it from new and it has the following spec...

MGF 1.8i - 1998 S Reg

45k miles Nightfire Red (£265) Black leather (£850) Black Hard top ($1125) ABS (£685) 6 CD (£400) Leather/Alloy gear knob (£50) Fabric mats (£60) Total extras (£3435)

...according to various websites/magazines the price I should ask (private sale) for a 1998 S Reg MGF 1.8i is between £4200 and £6200 (depending on condition). As far as I can tell these prices are for a basic MGF with no options and as you can see I have over £3400 of extras on my car.

I think my car sits just above average condition for its age, its always been garaged, has below average mileage, but does have a small scratch on one window and a slight scrath on the bonnet (< 1") and while the front tyres are almost new, the back ones have only 3mm tread left and so will need replacing soon.

...so without all the extras I think £5600 would be a fair price, but I was just wondering how much extra I should ask considering its got >

£3400 worth of extras? - ie how much value do these type of optional extras add to a second hand car? Obviously I dont expect them to make £3400 of difference now, but they must make some difference?

...also, finally, how much difference would the time of year make to the value of the car? I would like to keep it just one more summer and sell it this September, but if thats going to cost me more than £1000 difference compared to selling it now then I would do better to sell it now!

Thanks for any advice!

David Bevan

David

Can't help you with the value of the extras, but I can tell you that the time of year you sell a convertible at does have a huge effect on it's price, September will be coming into the BUYERS market time, after all, who wants a convertible in the winter, for the best price you ought to be looking at selling now as the weather improves.

Reply to
Dave Gunter

Thanks, but how much is HUGE on a £5000-£6000 car? ...are we talking hundreds of pounds or thousands of pounds?

Thanks

Reply to
David

hundreds IMO.

And your extra's are worth very little other than attracting buyers. Few will negotiate on the extras. You could consider removing them / swapping for cheaper stuff.

Reply to
Doug