Engine washing

I want to wash my 76 MGB engine to get some of the grime off. What things should l cover up in the engine when washing.

Thanks Chris

Reply to
chris and jessica

I'd have thought if it can't stand getting wet then you've got a more serious problem than a bit of dirt!

I used to clean mine with Gunk then just hose it off, never had any problems.

Reply to
Nick Mason

Use common sense. I would use a hose very carefully indeed, a brush with a bucket of water is all you really need to remove the Gunk, which should have been brushed into the grot carefully in the first place. Dont get water down the dip stick orifice. I would remove distributor head and leads,cover the distributor body carefully, remove the LT Dissy/coil wire, cover the fuse block, the coil ,the starter solenoid and any other nearby exposed wiring like the horn(s) Make sure that the hydraulic reservoirs are tight shut and kept dry ( Old fashioned hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic). You will need to dry off the insulation of the plugs before attempting to restart the motor, otherwise it might misfire making you think that you have switched some of the leads! ( Take care or you might do that as well!)

best of luck P '67B '97F

Reply to
Pointer

I've used the 'Gunk'-type cleaners before. You can get a large (gallon size) Ziploc bag and remove the spark plug wires and bundle them up inside the bag, then place the bag over the distributor. Then use duct tape to seal it around the bottom. Make sure you mark the plug wires! You can either remove the plugs and cover the holes with duct tape or just leave them in. Dry everything off with a hair dryer.

Using a cleaner that does most of the work means that you'll just need to lightly hose it off and most of the dirt should be gone.

Dan D '65 B '76 B Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58