MGA Clutch Wear

I am in the process of restoring my first MGA and have taken the clutch apart to inspect it for wear. The flywheel and pressure plate look fine and the disc looks okay, but I don't know how much life it has left on it. The manual doesn't seem to mention a spec for disc thickness, so can anyone tell me how to gauge when I should think about replacing the disc? right now the closest rivets on each side are about 1/16 " from the face.

Reply to
Benj420

won't be much more than that!

Reply to
ops

Hi If you are doing a restoration, it is certain that you will have more questions as the project proceeds.

There is a huge font of knowledge at

including a section just for MGA's.

If you have 1/16" clearance from the rivets (0.062"), the plate is just about new. I have a new MGB plate, clearance to rivets is 0.055"

You should also check for oil in the clutch area, MGA's are prone to leak oil from the rear main bearing. (as well as about 20 other places in the engine, transmission and rear axle!)

Cheers ian f

Reply to
Liz and Ian