Clutch replacement '97 Impreza

I have a '97 Imprezza with a manual transmission. The car has about

90K miles on. Lately I have noticed that when I accelerate (no matter what gear), the engine races a bit and then drops back to normal rpms. I think the clutch may need either some kind of adjustment or replacement. I'm told that all clutches these days are hydraulic and that I will probably need a replacement. I know relatively little about newer cars (pre electronic everything/computerized everything) and I don't know a guy who knows bupkas about cars to go with me to the mechanic.

What I'd like to know is what questions should I be asking to avoid getting a snowjob and putting someone else's kid thru college :-)

Thanks in advance.

Kathi

Reply to
Kathryn Stein

Just have a 'male sounding guy' call 2-3-4 shops and get prices for a clutch in your car. Also, get recommendations on local mechanics. Keep in mund that most dealerships will have about the same labor rates. If the labor is 2 hours and the rates are $75 per hour thats a $150 plus parts. an independent mech might only be $50 per hour plus parts. If I were you I'd either use a dealership or a very well known shop. Also, you could check with the BBB before you decide.

If you post on the forums at

with your city, someone will have a recommendation I'm sure.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Kathryn Ste> I have a '97 Imprezza with a manual transmission. The car has about

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Clutch replacement is pretty straight forward on these cars, usually about 4 hours labour, plus the clutch pressure plate, disc and release bearing. Make sure they machine the flywheel to ensure a smooth clutch action and long life. They usually change the exhaust donut gasket on the end of the catalytic when re-installing the exhaust, which needs to be partially removed to remove the transmission. Ed B.

Reply to
ed

.Thanks guys for your responses. I did find a good Subaru guy here (Tacoma, WA) who quoted me all the steps you did with a price of 650 plus tax.

Reply to
Kathryn Stein