MGA Wrench Type?

My brother works on MGA's and has complained about the condition of his sockets and wrenches. I would like to surprise him with a new set for Chiristmas buy don't know what to get him. Are MGA's SAE or Metric? Does a "standard" set of sockets and wrenches do most everything on these cars, or should I also consider the sizes larger than 17mm or 3/4"?

Are there any other tools that an MGA guy might like? I would ask him, but I don't want to ruin the surprise.

P.S. Please post a reply as I don't want to post my email address.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

SAE AND Whitworth, IIRC.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

SAE is what you want. The majority of nuts and bolts are under 3/4 inch. I can't advise you on any specialty tools he would need without knowing what he plans to work on. If it were me, I'd probably start with a half inch drive rachet with six point sockets (won't slip and round off corners like 12 points do) in both regular and deep in 7/16 to 3/4. For a treat, maybe a set of ratcheting box-end wrenches in the same sizes. D.

Reply to
Alexis

A couple of extensions and a "U-joint" adapter are helpful on MGAs.

John

Reply to
John

A pair of double jointed dislocatable thumbs would be very handy as well.

Reply to
Nick Mason

For SAE read AF imperial sizes. It can be hard to find an AF socket set these days but they are around. Prices vary from very cheap to mortgage numbers. I would advise going for quality rather than quantity. Concentrate on getting as many sockets as possible rather than sets with lots of extension bars etc. The chances are that his existing extensions are OK but his sockets are worn. Get 6 point sockets if possible rather than 12 point ones. Sizes on MGA's tend to stop at about 1"AF with a few exceptional ones above that. I would suggest a good set of sockets possibly with a set of combination spanners will spend your budget. Finally why don't you include a card saying you hope he finds them useful on his old Triumph Spitfire. That's guaranteed to send him red in the face.

John

Reply to
John Manders