nut and bolt sizes

Does anyone know what nut and bolt sizes were used on air cooeld VWs? I'd like to make sure I have a complete set of wrenches and sockets for each of the several VWs I have, but don't want to carry more than I need. I have never seen a nut or bolt head under 7mm, and, except for maybe the axle nuts and steering wheel nut, not one over 19mm. I don't think there's a 12mm,

14mm, 16mm, or 18mm. Is this right?

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Original fender and pan bolts had 14mm heads. Today's replacements most likely use a 13mm head. The shank and thread pitch are the same though. Aldo connecting rod bolts are 14mm.

Basically what you'd need is:

8 10 13 14 17 19 27 36

Some of them you could get two of.

Then depending on the vehicle you might have some parts that were different from the majority of the VW's (beetles) like for example the drive plate on an automatic type 2 engine... where you'd need XZN "star" keys to get th ebolts off... or late model bus 1600 engine where the clutch pressure plate bolt heads are 11mm (same with type4 engine)

Then there's seatbelt bolts, the "standard" is 18mm...

LOL

I think the list just goes on.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

depending on year , pre1960 14mm is used for fender bolts and just about everthing thats 13mm on later years. It is also the size for thr backing plates on later models. the nut for the lower engine pully is 30mm and the drain plug is 21mm. Thats factering in the idea that no odd size was thrown on in the last 30 years.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Unless the PO of your car was as creative as mine, who changed half of the stock bolts for different sizes (beats me why), so everything I must do on the car is a complete journey into the twilight zone.

Now seriously, consider all the possible "custom" or bad repairs the car had in his previous life, because you may find surprises over there.

Ant

Jan Andersson wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

you forgot 15mm.

You'll also need an allen wrench to get the front wheel bearings out.

You might want to also get a good set of box/open end combination wrenches

and rear light housings

exhaust/ heat riser tube bolts, oil sump plate

and bolts, exhaust

15 engine nuts and bolts/shocks, body bolts

yeah you need other tools like vice grips channel locks screw drivers snap ring pliers, feeler guages, torque wrench, spark plug socket, which also fit the oil drain plug. A 17 mm allen wrench to drain the transaxle, and remove rear trailing arms....

Get good tools. and the right tool for the right job thats just an idea of what to expect... especially when you completlty dismantle a '69 beetle in your garage

Reply to
dragenwagen

socket to remove these. It's not uncommmon to find a 12mm nut instead of a 13mm nut (not a stock size, but someone in the past might have replaced a 13mm nut with a 12mm).

The original brake cylinder bleeder screws were smaller than 8mm, I think

6mm, but replacement parts sometimes have a bit larger ones, 7 or 8 mm.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

How'd you get away with several ACVWs and no tools?

Reply to
jjs

Also use 6 mm for the clamp bolt on my '61 bug! (I think it is 6 mm)

Reply to
Red Bug

What do you mean by "clamp bolt"?

Reply to
Ed

Didn't I say which one? Must have been tired when I wrote that... I was referring to the clamp bolt of the wiper arm onto the wiper shaft.

Reply to
Red Bug