mgf head advice please

Hi all. Strange but true 30 miles into my trip the oil light on my f came on; shut the engine down immediately lots of steam at the back end. Guessed it was probably the head gasket, after the engine had cooled I topped up it took about 2 litres of water. Turned round and headed home at about 60 mph watching the water temp all the way drove o.k. Checked the water at home it had lost none, after shutting down the engine I could hear steam under pressure escaping from what sounded like the left hand side or possibly the centre of the engine but could not see it. There is no water in the oil no exhaust in the header tank and no over pressurising in the header. I have been told that a common problem with the f is the inlet manifold water seal lets by. Has anyone tried changing the inlet manifold gasket without changing the head gasket and did it work, or am I just clutching at straws.

Reply to
aussy

Had head gasket on ours replaced at 58K. After HG change, the car was still losing a lot of coolant. Another mechanic diagnosed inlet manifold gasket leakage and replaced it for 90 quid - no problems since. Does not require HG replacement at the same time as inlet manifold gasket (unless the HG has also gone of course, which it will do if you keep losing coolant!).

Probably worth having a look at the inlet manifold gasket area initially- With our MGF, coolant was seen dripping from right rear of engine and it was losing a pint or so every 20 to 30 miles! Having seen the inlet manifold done, you could do it as a DIY job if you were keen!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Kennedy