Anyone having to start their engine twice?

Seems that the seasonal gasoline's in the pumps already, at least for MN.

Every morning, the first attempt of starting the engine,it sputters and stalls after 2-5 seconds. Second attempt: starts just fine. This started happening only 3 weeks ago.

Reply to
S1500

S1500 wrote in news:GfydnQy3MOuilonYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

NE Illinois, US, been happening for about two weeks.

Reply to
dw in Palatine

Have the same problem, probably started a month ago. I'm in SE Arizona and use premium Chevron which I doubt you can find better. Think it is the government at work, with all of their wisdom and well intentions.

in article Xns98469CA74735Cfuse1bbagorg@216.196.97.136, dw in Palatine at snipped-for-privacy@removethis.bbag.org wrote on 9/22/06 1:23 PM:

Reply to
larry g. olsen

Mine Too. In VA as well as when I lived in CT. Dealer told me that it's due to the Premium gas leaking by the injectors and vapor binding the cylinders... I usually crank it one or two times without letting it start, then cycle the key off and back to start. Starts right up then.

Reply to
Rich

Mine does that all the time. I guess it's been doing it for years. One thing to watch though, is the gas you use. In a neighboring state, a lot of gas stations went to gasohol, using 10% alcohol. They are required to say so on the pump, but those stickers wear off over time. I used two tankfuls of that junk and my car started to idle rough, stall, and lose power. I switched back to normal to gas in my own state, and it seems to be okay. One more tankful and I'll know more. By the way, has anybody had to add antifreeze to their Mini yet? I have, and what's in there looks really dirty. I added some because the overflow bottle was empty. I noticed the fan seemed to be coming on a lot, and I checked the overflow bottle. The fan still seems to be coming on alot though.

Talker

Reply to
Talker

I added some antifreeze since the overflow bottle looked almost empty, and everything seemed okay. BTW $20 for antifreeze is highway robbery. What's a good, cheaper equivical antifreeze?

Reply to
S1500

A fairly common problem to Mini owners. Mine did it and still does, but not very often. When it starts stumbling upon cranking, just recycle the ignition and it will start right up.

Reply to
RPJr

Hi Folks, Some modern fuel injection systems like to do everything for you, including pressing the throttle (gas pedal) on cranking, Try starting up without touching the gas, I find this cures most start up problems almost immediately, Worth a try,? Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

That's not it. But thanks for the suggestion. I never ever touch the throttle when starting a fuel injected car. This is a known issue w/ Mini and when I had it in for a check I was told by my Mini S.A. to run 89 octane fuel to try a stop it. I thought it had solved it but it started doing it again anyway. FYI.....for me this only happened when the car was started cold, never after it had been run and was warm.

Reply to
RPJr

Duh!

Reply to
madmax

What kind of response is "Duh" please explain ???? Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

OK....its the kind of response that you get for treating us like children. Don't you think that most people know the fundamentals of fuel injection?

Reply to
Madmax

Sorry, Pardon me for trying to help , Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy