Rear reflectors on a 2A?

I MOT'd my landy today (passed first time for the first time ever!), and the MOT tester said that strictly I should have red reflectors on the back of the landy, down at the lower corners.

I've never had them before (and the same guy passed it last year!), and i dont think its ever had them. Should i indeed have them then? any particular place they are generally mounted?

I've also never noticed them on other series landies (not that ive been looking!), though i did notice on the way home today that every single other big 4x4 type things i passed had them.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Excellent!

My '71 lightweight failed on that the first time I MOTd it (back in 2001).

I bought some, presumably for a trailer, for a few pounds from CPC

- purely because I was ordering other stuff from them!) but have also seen them in a caravan shop and I think I might have seen them in the Auto Electrical Supplies and/or Vehicle Wiring Products catalogues.

They are about 4"x1.5" and I just pop riveted them on in the lower corners of the rear tub. Can post piccie if you want.

Rafe

Reply to
Rafe Aldridge

Shouldnt need pictures for these ;)

I shall keep an eye out for some and stick them on at the back somewhere. Would never have thought of using CPC though!

When i rebuilt my landy 5 years or so ago the rear tub i bought second hand. It came with all the lights and stuff on (as half of them fell off while i was trailering it home and smashed on the road!), but i dont remember any reflectors! and that came of a series 3 which being newer should have had them!

I wonder if there are mounting holes on my tub somewhere which i've just never noticed before?

I'm looked at my 101 and that actually has them! (or did until i took them off to strip the paint!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

If it has the original rear lights, the lenses on these incorporate a reflector. Either the tester failed to note these, or your lights are (for example) 90/110 lights that do not incorporate a reflector, or the rules have changed (in which case they are probably not retrospective) or your tester was wrong - this probably being the most likely! JD

Reply to
JD

Have you got the rear lights that incorporate a reflector in the lens?

Reply to
Dougal

I had rear reflector lenses incorporate in my tail lights but the MOT obergruppenfurer insisted I ought to have separate relectors. Not wanting to argue I removed one from my bike (how I got back to the garage), cut it in half neatly with a hacksaw and gaffered it below the tail lights. Pass no problem. Hooray. The world is very strange to a non-jobsworth.

Reply to
Eddy Bayton

I had rear reflector lenses incorporate in my tail lights but the MOT obergruppenfurer insisted I ought to have separate reflectors. Not wanting to argue I removed one from my bike (how I got back to the garage), cut it in half neatly with a hacksaw and gaffered it below the tail lights. Pass no problem. Hooray. The world is very strange to a non-jobsworth.

Reply to
Eddy Bayton

On or around Thu, 16 Mar 2006 21:21:20 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

Beamends Richard has 'em. they're round things and bolt onto the ends of the chassis rear crossmember, I think, or the bottom corner of the body.

I've got one somewhere that's still not been fitted to edward. Mind you, Edward has the SII type rear lights which also have a reflector.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I dont think my lights have reflectors built in.

Theyre not the original ones. I'm using generic cheapy replacement lights like all the LR places sell that use the plastic covers.

picture here (you may have to fix the URL)

Richard appears to have rectangular defender ones for £1.50.

Am i supposed to have 2 of them?

My beamends shopping list is almost building up to an ammount that warrants a trip over there now!. I've needed a single exhaust gasket for weeks but its not really worth the trip for a 50p item!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yes - and ...

"Except in the case of a motor vehicle first used before April 1, 1986, any other vehicle manufactured before October 1, 1985 and a motor bicycle combination, where two rear reflectors are required to be fitted they shall form a pair." (Road Vehicle Lighting Regs.)

There is a definition of 'pair' which includes equal height above the ground and equal distance from the extreme edge of the vehicle for each reflector of the pair.

Position at the 'lower corners' is not a requirement. But there is maximum distance from edge and maximum height requirement. The rules allow higher positioning for certain older vehicles.

Reply to
Dougal

They should be built into the tail/brake light lens ....

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Yes, all vehicles (and trailers) require two rear reflectors - on LR's they should be just above the rear crossmember on the corners.

Series (and optionally Defenders) should have:

551595 Rear Reflector (Round) - Series/Defender to LA939975 £10.57 inc VAT (they've just jumped massively in price) but the Defender version is:

XFF100070 Rear Reflector (Rectangular) - Defender £1.52 inc VAT

which is far more sensible!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:31:44 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

SII or SIII should have round ones, if you want it to look right. also in the list.

Richard will put small stuff in the post for a quid or so.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:06:52 +0000, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

oooh, wonder if mine's exempt from "pair", then. I assumed you had to have pairs anyway.

wonder what I did with the one I've not yet fitted...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:04:50 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

buggrit, better find the one I've got then. how can they justify 10 quid for a flippin' reflector?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's past looking 'original' now!. Its one of then series 2.5's really ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Definately far more sensible!. Right, when i have time i'll give you a ring and pop over for them and some exhaust gaskets! (its sealing amazing well with no gaskets at the moment!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

er, they are *very* shiney? More seriously, I suspect that the original maker has stopped making them and a new supplier has had to tool-up - that stud on the back must be a bugger to get right, and the volumes are not exactly high I'd venture.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd