gearbox problems

hello, 4 weeks ago I have bought a second hand Mini One 2001 with 35.000km . Sunday I wanted to put the car in the garage and in revearse gear it made a
strange noise, like something was knocking at the bottom of the car. We drove it to a Mini dealer and the verdict was a new gearbox ! Is this normal for 35.000km, I knew the former owner personnaly , it was used as a second car by his wife. Is this a common problem with Mini's from the first generation. Best Regards. Patrick
Patrick Coene wrote:

I'm pretty sure there was an issue with selecting reverse on some earlier models that was fixed by a recall ?
Have a search the forums on Mini2.com for a definitive answer.
--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/
: hello, : 4 weeks ago I have bought a second hand Mini One 2001 with 35.000km . : Sunday I wanted to put the car in the garage and in revearse gear it made a : strange noise, : like something was knocking at the bottom of the car. : We drove it to a Mini dealer and the verdict was a new gearbox ! : Is this normal for 35.000km, I knew the former owner personnaly , it was : used as a second car by his wife. : Is this a common problem with Mini's from the first generation. : Best Regards. : Patrick
Mine went out at around 51k miles and was replaced under warranty. I have heard of one or two other cases too, but not at such a low mileage count as yours.
--
73 Chris Cox N0UK, G4JEC, ex-AB0CN, ex-G8PTC RNARS #1157 EN34jv33

WWW Home Page: http://WWW.Chris.Org/ http://www.pingjockey.net

My Friends cooper had a defective gearbox last year at 41K, after some heated phone calls and arguments with the dealer who refused to even acknowledge the model had a gearbox issue, it was replaced by the extended warranty company, but with a rebuilt unit not new....
Obviously they are masters of abdication of responsibility, and experts at customer retention ????
my friend has since sold the car..
Fitzy