Traction Control question

Hi,

I was just wondering what the ASC uses to control the car. Does it cut back on the throttle, or does it apply the brakes?

With winter driving here in Canada, the ASC kicks in a lot. If it's using the brakes then I think I'd want to turn it off on those extra slippery days.

Thanks for any info.

'05 Cooper S, if it makes any difference.

Reply to
El Gordo

You mean DSC? If slip = reduces throttle.

It's snowy here in MN, and I turn it off all the time now. Otherwise getting to my destination would take forever.

Reply to
S1500

John Craig snipped-for-privacy@highstream.net_____________________ Remove NOSPAM from address to reply.

Reply to
John Craig

My '03 has DSC and except in deep snow I leave DSC on. There is one hill that I absolutely could not make it up except for DSC keeping the car reasonably straight despite my best efforts to divert the car into the ditch. If DSC is off the tires spin no matter how little throttle I give and how few steering inputs I provide.

It works on both brakes and throttle. But since it is ABS I do not understand from the original post why the problem with it using the brakes? Unless you are on sheer ice or deep snow I find ABS to work better than I have ever been able to cope with it (and I have been driving/racing for years now).

Reply to
fprintf

I meant ASC, as in the lever to disable/re-enable it says "ASC". I don't have the super-sporty 17" wheel model with DSC, I just have ASC.

Reply to
El Gordo