Overheating?

My Mini 2003 I think is overheating here are the symptoms:
Needle goes to middle point when driving as normal
After driving for a while and the car is stopped but still running (in
traffic or something) the needle of the thermostat goes to maximum and red Light flashes
Once you start driving again the needle returns to the middle of the Thermostat.
I no very little about cars and would be grateful for any advice on this, Is this overheating or my indicative of another problem?
This sounds like the electric fan is not switching on at the correct time. A flashing red light on dashboard usually means OMG I'm about to explode.... The handbook would relate - if this happens the car must be checked out.

The coolant may be low. Make sure you top up the overflow reservoir when the engine is cold, like in the morning.