Re: Bonnet Grille/Vent Problem

I have an 18 month old Cooper (in the UK). Today I noticed that the foam

> like material under the bonnet grilles/vents has holes in it mainly on one > side of the car.

There was a recall for replacement of the foam material a few months ago. Well, I say 'recall' - I don't know if an actual recall notice was issued, but when my Mini went in on a totally unrelated matter the dealer pointed out that they'd replaced the insulating material and that they were doing this for all Minis on instruction from BMW.

Cheers, Ian

Reply to
Ian McCall

Brill, thank you.

Manic

Reply to
Manic Poster

I noticed when I test drove the car that the foam seemed to be thin and vulnerable, especially to ice, snow, etc. I expect to replace it a few times during the life of the car, I guess.

Tim Cunningham

Reply to
Tim Cunningham

Yea.. our Cooper is the same, and a friends also did the same. I guess that it will go back to Sytner sometime soon to be changed.

Ok New News - I replaced a pair of sponge lined vent's today and the replacements were a much better looking vent with NO SPONGE rather a set of deflecting fins to do same job... I'm told it is the supersession to the 'old' vent - - just hope your dealer has used all his 'old'ones.....>

Reply to
arielmad

I took my baby in today, they were going to replace the sponge while I waited but they were out of stock (luckily the dealer is only a 20 min drive from me). The guy said that heavy rain or too much sun causes the problem, he also said that the quality has not been changed yet. Anyway, some are on order for me and I can pop in and get them fitted in a couple of days when I am passing. I hope I get new ones even though he doesn't know they exist!

Manic

Reply to
Manic Poster

Ok Great! ( I told you so!) anyhow anybody with a pressure washer should blow away the sponge and get the new type fitted.. accidently of course..>

I'm pleased you like the new ones.. Arielmad

Reply to
arielmad

New Minis being delivered to dealers have the new vent material. We picked up our Mini on Saturday, and it (and all the other new cars that came in to the dealership that delivery) had no sponge.

Reply to
John Francis