Run flat tires

We ran over some enormous debris in the road the other night at 60 mph. It was unavoidable. Next morning, the flat tire indicator was illuminated. There was a nail in our tire. It was repaired. We were really pleased with the performance of the tire. I don't even want to consider what could have happened if we had a blow-out at such a high speed. Judy

Reply to
JCG

I'm sorry, Judy, but probably not much would have happened. With a nail in a standard tire, you would probably feel a vibration, maybe hear a thumping noise and maybe feel a vibration, depending on which tire had the puncture. Maybe you wouldn't even know you had a flat until the next morning...

The only difference would be you'd have to change the tire instead of drive on it to the repair shop.

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan Sever

Possibly not even then, either. In the last decade I've had to replace two tires/tyres, one on each vehicle, because of getting nails in the carcase. In both cases the only symptom was that the tire gradually deflated over a period of around a week.

I have had catastrophic failures; once a tyre sidewall blew out as I was going round a roundabout (at around 40mph), and I've had a wheel come off while I was at speed (around 60mph). That one was interesting; it took the brake drum with it, so I had no braking left either. In neither case was I left with an uncontrollable vehicle.

Reply to
John Francis

Actually, a nail usually causes a slow leak, not a blow-out.

Reply to
Harlan Messinger