Antiskid versus traction control on the 2005 Passat

Can someone explain the difference between the traction control offered on the 2005 GL Passat and the antiskid system offered on the 2005 GLS Passat? What additional benefits does the antiskid system offer?

Where I live gets around 40-50" of snow a year. Thank you very much in advance for any information.

Reply to
botony

I have an 05 Passat GLS TDI with ESP (stability package). I think that's what you mean by "antiskid". As far as I can tell ESP is a superset of traction control system. The Passat GL isn't offered in Canada, so I had the choice of ESP or nothing.

With snowy roads recently I often see the ESP idiot light flashing as I pull away from a stop, and can feel its effect. I assume that's what traction control offers. I've also tried (in empty parking lots) to make the car skid by yanking the wheel one wayand accelerating, and it just won't slide. Besides the "inside" rear wheel braking, eventually you can feel it cut the throttle back a bit if you keep trying to push it.

So far I'm really happy with ESP. I put a set of Michelin X-Ice snows on the Passat in the fall, and it has been excellent in the worst we've seen this winter so far.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

offered

Also, I found the antiskid system now standard on the GLS is called the electronic stabilization program (ESP - cute).

Can anyone tell me how this differs from traction control?

Also, would the ESP be of any greater help in an oversteer skid? Thanks for any information.

Reply to
botony

Reply to
Alec

Traction control is nothing more than using the ABS system to apply a brake caliper for the wheel that starts to slip.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Not always; some systems can also use fuel cutoff.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yup, the fuel cutoff on my '03 has been getting a workout these past few days... and the ABS saved my ass the other day, too.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith