A clutch question; can anyone help with this?

Hi,

This may be a simple one but I've just bought a Mini Clubman Estate in very good cond. However, the clutch is slipping, especially on hills/fast acceleration. Tried driving it up a set of ramps yesterday and it just rolled back down!

Question 1: Do I need a new plate, or is there something else it may be?

Question 2: If I need new bits, how do I tell if it's a Verto or non-Verto clutch?

Reply to
Kokopelli
1) Sounds like you will need a clutch pressure plate. this should cost around £35-40. Make sure to replace the throw out bearing while you are doing it ! haynes is a good guide for clutch fitting. If you have a non verto, perhaps just look at adjusting it using haynes as a guide first though

2) Non verto is usually fitted pre 1980, Verto is fitted 1980 onwards. A visual identification is: non verto has the clutch slave cylinder bleed nipple points towards the exhaust manifold, verto the nipple points towards you.

HTH RS

Reply to
RS

Check the adjuster nut for clearance first but this could be clutch plate wear or pressure plate getting a bit tired. Seeing as its a bit of a job you are best off replacing both at the same time, along with the clutch release bearing.

Difference between verto and non-verto - on a verto clutch the slave cylinder is mounted on the flywheel *end cover* and faces diagonnally down. With the NON-verto clutch the slave cylinder sits much higher up on the flywheel/transfer gear housing and faces horizontally. It sits almost under the engine tie bar on the LHS of the block.It also has a much longer pushrod coming out from the flywheel end cover (wok) than the verto clutch.

Its a very simple job to do even with the engine in the car. The worst bit is undoing the flywheel cover nuts that are at the back and bottom. The Non verto clutch is better, and ultimately stronger, than the verto plus it doesnt have to be centred.

Well done finding a nice clubby estate. My fave mini.

Chri$

Reply to
<$>

The adjuster nut (throwout stop adjustment) does the opposite of the OPs problem. Tightening it will keep the clutch from releasing. Too large a gap could allow you to exceed the allowable throw on the clutch springs.

The clutch return adjusting bolt might cause a slipping clutch if it is adjusted so that the clutch arm is not allowed to return completely. I've never seen one adjusted that badly.

This advice is only for the non-Verto clutch. I know nothing about Vertos except how to remove them and throw them away.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher