Help with a Mondeo Clutch!!

Hi, I've got a V reg 2L Mondeo with 96K on the clock and I think it's clutch is dead - but I'm far from an expert.

The car drives fine in 1st and 2nd gears, but in 3rd upwards, it seems to rev very easily between 3K and 3K RPM. It seems to rev easily, with no real increase in speed but it'll 'bite' again at about 4K RPM.

Now, I know very little about cars in general - what do you folks recon it is and what might it need (and cost) to sort out??

Thanks for your help

'tunes

Reply to
James.Whitton

it does sound like clutch slip(under load)but carnt be sure without roadtesting if this is the original clutch then at 96k i carnt see it lasting much longer the book time is 4.5hrs to do...

Reply to
ford_technical_

Thanks for your help ford_technical_, you've confirmed what i was thinking. The bit i didn't get is it being ok from a standing start, but rubbish between 3-4k rpm.

Do you know why that might be?

Also-do any of you folks know a good garage/mechanic in the Nottingham area (uk)?

Reply to
mad_tunes

Thanks for your help ford_technical_, you've confirmed what i was thinking. The bit i didn't get is it being ok from a standing start, but rubbish between 3-4k rpm.

Do you know why that might be?

Also-do any of you folks know a good garage/mechanic in the Nottingham area (uk)?

Reply to
mad_tunes

Gear ratios and engine torque. Think about it.

Reply to
Malc

dunno, does sound strange... maybe something to do with the load on the engine?

i dont know that area ,somebody else will tho

Reply to
ford_technical_

I just kinda thought that it might be under the most load when pulling off, must be wrong.

So you folks recon my clutch can be declard dead?

Reply to
mad_tunes

From your description you need a new clutch fitted.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Clutch is definately beginning to slip when its under the highest load- peak torque on the Zetec E is 3800-4200rpm (1.8 did you say?)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks very much folks - It's booked in for a new clutch on Thursday.

james

Reply to
mad_tunes

Out of interest, how much?

The clutch is a car killer on older Mondeos just because it takes so long to do and you need to realign the front subframe afterwards...

I have a vested interest - an old Mondeo with 60K on the clutch and doing a reasonable mileage now...

Reply to
PC Paul

The best Quote I could find in my area (Nottingham) was =A3170 mate. I've had it done and the cars now spot on.

Reply to
mad_tunes

Ta. That's a lot less than I'd heard...

Reply to