buying a Demo Mini with 753 miles on it

Ok, so here is the dilemna.

My wife wants a mini, but she wants the purple haze color, they stopped that color this year.

We managed to find a 2006 early model Cooper S in Purple haze, it is a demo car with 753 miles on it.

The dealer says that this demo has been driven by the same salesman for all the miles it has on it. I'm told Customers test drive other cars that eventually get sent back to the factory and are not sold to the customers.

The Salesman I that drove it I talked to, he says he broke it in very well, he seems to be a mini enthusiast.

My question is has anybody bought a mini demo before and what are your thoughts on buying one?

Reply to
spellow

Good morning. If you'll repost this on alt.autos.new-mini I'm sure you'll get some helpful response. This NG typically deals with the original Mini :)

Reply to
dauph59

Well to be honest mate you'd be better off buying one of these:-

And no that bloke can't be a real Mini enthusiast either, because the BINI (BMW so called MINI) isn't a real Mini i'm afraid.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Oh quite the contrary....he is a current model mini enthusiast! The gentleman has already been redirected, the correct way, so go back in your hole, taffy.

Reply to
madmax

Taffy,

I disagree with your assumption. Someone can be a "real" Mini enthusiast without owning one. And in this case, the car being sold is a demo. The dealer selling it isn't trying to pass it off as an original.

Case in point: the service manager of Downtown MINIs here in Orlando is also a member of Sunshine Minis, a group that caters to both the original Mini and the BMW MINI. His wife drive a new MINI, but even though he sells and services the new ones, his daily driver is an original (a great looking car with a custom "Nemo" paint job).

Here's a link to a pic of Nemo if anyone's interested:

I won't post a link to his wife's MINI! ;)

dauph (Charlie)

Reply to
dauph59

sad!

xx

What's sad? The paint job? A purist might be alarmed, but I think most people see them as fun, happy cars. A custom paint job like that only adds to the fun of it. Besides, people really seem to like that car at outings.

dauph

Reply to
dauph59

even sadder! k

Reply to
xx

OK, Keith, i guess I'm missing your point. Sorry.

dauph

Reply to
dauph59

The point is - what' all this got to do with the REAL Mini?

keith

Reply to
xx

Keith, did you even look at these picture? I'm no expert, but isn't it an original Mini in the pic? I could be wrong though... I'll look again.

Charlie

Reply to
dauph59

maybe it is, but why all the irelevant talk about the bmw imposter?

xx

Keith, I don't know why you're fighting with me. My posting was a response to Taffy, and not made to be argumentative. In my response I simply pointed out my contention that one could be a Mini enthusiast, even if one owned a MINI. As an example I posted a link to a picture of a Mini which is owned and driven daily by someone who also deals daily with the MINI. He is a Mini enthusiast. That is the only point I was making.

That being said, did you look at the picture? What do you think of the paint scheme? It's unique, to be sure!

If I may pose another question to you, have you ever considered "posing" some of your models in different settings, such as cityscapes? Perhaps photographing some of the race cars on a race track? It could be interesting.

Charlie

Reply to
dauph59

Could you explain to me how I would pose a 1:34 scale model on a race track? Keith

Reply to
xx

oh, by the way I did look at the paint job. Different, but not exciting.

Keith

Reply to
xx

I know. Different. That's what I said... unique. A lot of people like it at the shows.

As far as how to pose the models on a track, you would first construct a miniature set. Shouldn't be that tough. They're 1:43, right (assuming you "fat-fingered" the keyboard when you typed 1:34) :)

Charlie

Reply to
dauph59

correction 1/34. Vanguards are 1/43, these are Corgi. Although I am also a model maker, constructing many diferent sets would take months, time which I do not have.

keith

Reply to
xx

Oh well, just a thought. Impressive collection, nonetheless!

Charlie

Reply to
dauph59

What are the 1:43 vanguards minis worth? I have 2 mint ones here in boxes, 1 is a "Dewhursts Butchers" mini van in dark brown & the other is a Cable & Wirless mini van in royal blue,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s