Clutch puller ?

Hi folks, I'm in the middle of a 1275 strip down, engine is out and on the floor,, got the clutch puller on and wound up tight, starter off out of the way, tried smacking the flywheel and the clutch puller bolt, it wont move, any suggestions, any one know some tips or tricks, Thanks Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

What about fit the puller, crank it up as tight as it will go, heat up the centre boss as suggested previously, then with a piece of pine 2*2 or similar, tap fly wheel from behind via the starter motor hole with a lump hammer, rotate flywheel and tap again, get some one else to keep tightening the puller. What about putting a longer bar on the puller to tighten more. remember just taps, no bashing the living daylights out of it, unless you are going to be changing the fly wheel / crank shaft any way.

Reply to
Martin

Get a bigger hammer!!

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

As I said the other day, i stripped the whole lot down, used the puller and it wouldnt budge, so put the key way back in and fixed the puller over the top and smashed the bugger, still wouldnt budge, kicked the cat and tapped it ever so slightly, actually because i was hitting it so hard i missed, then as if by magic the clutch just fell off, what doyou know! I think plenty of WD40, tapping the side with a hammer and drift then hitting the puller, lots of sweat and swearing, and good old percy vearance!

Barspeed and his magical Mini's

How is the cat...? :-)

Reply to
Pedro

In my experience it often takes two people to remove a flywheel/clutch with the engine on the floor. The puller can require enough torque that the engine will roll over before the taper releases. One person has to keep the engine upright while the other puts most of their weight on the breaker bar (2 feet long minimum).

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

which one Pedro ?? the one that meeows and lives on the bonnet, or the one that fails mots, ;-) Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

The cat ended up in the next garden..... I had to pin the engine to a tree actually, no really i did lol the central bolt on the puller, which is about 15mm plus, is now bent....! Should still be usefull though, failing that will just pop to a bolt shop round the corner and get a new one for next time....

Reply to
Barspeed and his magical Mini'

A good method is to tighten the puller up really tight and then drop a bowl of boiling water over the flywheel, it has worked a fair few times for me, the only time that didn't required a 16lb sledgehammer through the starter motor hole as well!!!!

miniman

Reply to
miniman

Reply to
Fitzy

Great tip there miniman, Tighten the clutch puller till its about to snap, Poured boiling water over the centre tapered section, Bang,,,, off it jumped just like you said it would, this is the first time I have ever changed a clutch on a mini without a big hammer,,,,, the clutch actually volunteered to jump off when water pored on, Now I know what those 2 gallon pressure cookers are really useful for, ;-) WARNING TO OTHERS don't stand infront of the clutch when pouring water over it, My clutch launched its self about 5ft across the garage floor, Thanks again Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Ooops I forgot to mention that, sorry!!!!! ;-)

good when they go though!

miniman

Reply to
miniman

Fitzy, Any news? Did you manage to get it off, and if so, please tell, you never know when the next flywheel will call!

Martin

Reply to
Martin

Hi Martin, Yes mate it jumped off, just as miniman said, go back 2 or 3 posts , I explained how, also read minimans tip at the start, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy