Cooling Fan 2003 Cooper S

Our MINI has been overheating, and I have isolated the problem to the electric cooling fan. I've ordered the new part from a MINI dealer, but
just got around to checking the service manual for the replacement procedure. According to the TIS, you have to remove the front bumper, A/C condenser and radiator to get to the fan assembly. Has anyone done this? Do you =really= have to dis-assemble the entire front of the car just to get to the fan? It appears to be so "close" that it almost seems impossible to have to remove so many parts to remove it.
The car is a US spec. model.
Appreciate any input I can get.
Thanks!
Tim/
Shame. If you had the REAL Mini the job would have been easy, like most jobs on the REAL Mini. That's the penalty for being lumbered with the FAKE Mini.

impossible
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 12:15:46 GMT, "Biffa Bacon \(mobile\)"

.....but spelling might be useful <g>.
You must understand that many of us who appreciate the real Mini find the oversixed and badly-packaged BMW fake to be an insult to the original. Consequently, we don't tend to think much of the prats who buy it. Then we read a post like yours and it confirms our opinion <vbg>.
Regards, David Betts snipped-for-privacy@minilist.org The Mini Gallery: http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?md635537103&n 66070334
David Betts wrote:

Hey hey....too bad you'll never be able to catch up with us.

Well, not a great believer in racing on the road, but on the couple of occasions when one of the fake's has appeared to want to get involved I have left it for dead. Something to do with lack of driver ability and the difficulty something so fat has in getting through gaps in traffic, probably. After all, my Rover Cooper is bog standard apart from KNN filter, lcb and a single-box, big bore exhaust. Actually, come to think of it, it blows off most things on the road most of the time. Amazing how some prat who has been tailgating you can be hundreds of yards behind after one roundabout. I routinely find the Mini to be just as quick point to point in mixed driving as my Subaru Impreza Turbo....and usually more fun.
Regards, David Betts snipped-for-privacy@minilist.org The Mini Gallery: http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?md635537103&n 66070334
just the reply I would expect from the owner of a over sized, over priced piece of junk.
Steve.

Me thinks someone is a little jealous. Wider stance, better cornering.
Steve68s wrote:

It is wider but as far as cornering have you ever driven a real classic mini cooper S or owned one? admittedly the new Bini is quieter & smother & faster on a motorway or straight road but I doubt you or anyone else in a bmw Bini could follow me & keep up with me on a hairpin, bend or corner, as far as being jealous its just your small mind, yes even its smaller than my car, if I wanted a bmw bini I would go and buy one, one last point to note, this newsgroup is for discussing things that relate to the original mini so try & keep quiet unless you can contribute something positive.
Steve.

Just for the record, the simpleton missive from the previous poster is not representative of all classic owners.
Most of my friends have both a Mini and a BINI.
I am into classics myself but not because the BINI is a bad car. It is an impressive car and a very good one. It will also thrash a classis to an inch of it's life on a race track. Only clueless twits will defend a car as if they are defending there national flag.
It's just a freaking car, get a grip.

I do most of my driving on the road, & enjoy being able to out drive bmw minis on A roads, roundabouts & corners, this is what I am talking about, nothing ever has passed me when I go round any corner... note.... I am not saying a 41 year old car will deffend its self against a modern car on a race track, nor am I trying to deffend the national flag, at least not today :-)
Steve.
I understand what you are saying but..
I had an SCCA prepared Trans Am a few years back that I used as occasional commuter car.
I didn't (read couldn't) afford to drive aggressively on the street. I am sure there are many riceboy Honda Civic and Accord drivers that are going home thinking they abused me on the street.
Perhaps the others were not racing you.

Well when they have smoke comming from the tyres & the cars going sideways I guess they aint playing trick or treat, the mini I just sold was great in a straight line too, 1460 full race ST5, I am talking about slightly modded cars here by the way, for my daily drive I use a v6 2.8 audi A4, I dont try to bull shit people, I also have been involved in building track cars & have raced them too, mainly bangers, dont laugh, you don't take any shit from someone you just take em out... head on, the destruction derbys are fun too.... Hendenford, Birmingham Wheels, Mildenhall.......
Steve.
ps never used minis in bangers though, 2.8 v6 mk2 Granadas..

cornering.
bmw
note....
modern
I once saw a austin 1300 go in bangers unlimited at the pre 68 in Mildenhall, did not lat very long though.
Steve.

Oh cool, that makes two things we have in common.
I also have a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T that has been worked over a bit with Neuspeed reprogramming and such.
http://audia4.ositech.net

I don't tend to get involved in this sort of slanging match. Big waste of time talking to a troll but...
A London bus has a much wider stance than your BMW therefore better cornering.
The Muffin Man

Sorry guys, I was just goofing with ya. But, yeah, if that London bus was only 3 feet tall, it probably would corner fantastic. And if this newsgroup is for classic mini's "only", then why isn't it called alt.autos.classicmini ?
The Muffin Man wrote:

Easy.
When the forum was created there was no new MINI.
--
QuickSilver - Visit my world
http://AustinMini.OsiTech.Net

Because it has existed since long before the new so-called Mini and will continue to do so long after that temporary aberration has been forgotten. There is only on Mini and we don't need reminding that all of them are classics. If you want to talk about the other thing there is alt.autos.newmini. I'm told it's mostly full of whines and whinges about unreliability, atrocious build quality, catching fire and recalls, but then I can't say for sure because I've never bothered to visit that particular usenet backwater.
Regards, David Betts snipped-for-privacy@minilist.org The Mini Gallery: http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?md635537103&n 66070334
If you never visited the new Mini site how do you know what they whine about? I know you adored the new Mini and you are a closet new Mini lover - lol.
In any case, I bet we have more issue and whines about our old Minis: rusty a pillars, synchronizing twin carbs, Lucas electronics, etc