Rust never sleeps.

I am in the middle of stripping all the paint off a Tomken

Protec bumper, that is only seven years old. It issupposed to be powder coated, hmph! I got a lot of scale off of it, andruined two perfectly good bumper stickers, that had plenty of life left too.I live in sunny Colorado, which the vehicle hasn't left since I got thebumper. The bumper design is hollow, welded shut, but I am thinking thatthe "integrated solid steel tow pegs for easy strap attachment" are lettingwater into the interior too. Thankfully, the damage appears to be cosmeticso far.

I would recommend this product, except for the loss of paint.

I'm "Cc:"ing Tomken on this one. Wonder what they'll say?

Earle Horton

Reply to
Earle Horton

I wouldn't say that powdercoating is inherently better or worse than paint when it comes to rust prevention... the fact is if there is a greater than water molecule sized hole in the coating or one is created via stone chip etc. then rust is going to happen.

Tube bumpers are just rust traps waiting to happen IMO; that must be why Jeepers seem to love them so much :)

Reply to
Simon Juncal

I am talking about large pieces of scale, about as big as a half dollar, that have lifted off entire sections of powder coating. The roof of my 1989 Suburban doesn't look so bad. :o(

I wonder if I should put drains in the bottom of this thing?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Once it's started the coating (or paint) becomes a nice rust accelerator. That's the problem with doing rust repairs in general... unless you cut it out, it's nearly impossible to keep it from getting moisture again. I've seen field repairs gobbed up with a dozen coats of zinc primer start showing rust under the paint in weeks

my YJ's rear frame rails have drains... typical 6" long strips where the bottom of the rail rusted out below the shackles to the rear cross member. I welded plate patches into the sides as a repair to keep the shackle hanger from fatiquing loose, I left the rust holes in the bottom as drainage. and supported the repaired sides by welding in some flat bar pieces inside from wall to wall angled in such a way that they can't hold water or debre.

It's a kind of "if you can't beat it" solution, it can't rust out again because it's not there anymore :) So far as I can tell there's no extra flex at my patch job.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

POR-15 that is the ticket Coasty

"Sim>> I am talking about large pieces of scale, about as big as a half dollar,

Reply to
Coasty