Flitch replacement

Firstly i would ask - is the car over 25 years old (the classic mini was made right up to 2001). The reason i ask is the car has to be 25 years old for you to import it to USA (just your import rules im afraid). As for the rust:

- what do you mean by the flitch panel?

-sills are ok to replace - never fit an oversill - always cut out the rust. Get it done properly as sills are very structural in a mini.

RS

Reply to
RS

Mini production actually ended on the 4th October, 2000 but as RS said you may have problems with your import rules, however many newer Mini's have been imported because the owners have changed their identities, basically they've claimed their Mini's are over 25 years old etc.

For more help try here:-

as this companyhas helped Mini's get imported regardless of their age! Taffy

Reply to
Taffy
£800 is a lot for a Mini that definately needs such work.

If the hinge panel is gone there will be other stuff to do when you start. I bet the area around the air vents will be a bit lacey.

Try and get one that is cheap enough to so it makes doing the work worthwhile or get one that doesn't need any work even if you have to pay a bit more. If you do buy one that needs work get all the panels required and ship them at the same time.

back to the States. Does anyone know how hard it is to change the Flitch panel, and the left bottom sill? These are the only places that the rust has gone through.

my head. I have some welding skills.

Reply to
TurboJo

It has to be said, from the description of where that rust is I would suspect a lot more elsewhere! You could get a car that needs that sort of work for £100. For £800 you want something pretty solid.

As I said earlier, once you start crumbling there, where do you stop crumbling and start welding?

The Muffin Man

Reply to
The Muffin Man

I am looking at buying a British Mini from a friend and having it shipped back to the States. Does anyone know how hard it is to change the Flitch panel, and the left bottom sill? These are the only places that the rust has gone through.

Car is in decent shape for only $ 1400. I just don't want to get in over my head. I have some welding skills.

Ed

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
EBenton

Where are you in the US?

California has it's own particular problems with importing cars at the moment. You don't want anything newer than 1974 for CA and you're still going to have to fight to get tags. A 1967 or earlier would be the easy way to go for the Golden State.

And don't forget that shipping is gonna cost you to! Probably $1100 for the east coast, $1700 for the west coast.

Reply to
mwalsh