Groovy/Swinging Radford Mini Cooper S On The Box!

You've all heard of the "Austin Powers" movies i'm sure, but did you know the basic idea of a super hero getting frozen and being awoken years later was first (I believe?) dreamt up by the same team at the BBC who created Doctor Who.

And the show in question was called "Adam Adamant Lives" and it was broadcast on BBC1 during 1966/1967. It was also the BBC's answer to the popular show "The Avengers", but the BBC did embrace the swinging

60's in the UK/London more but where as "The Avengers" went colour during the mid 1960's, "Adam Adamant Lives" was only ever made in black & white as BBC1 didn't start transmitting in colour until 1970 (again I believe, well January 1970 was when Doctor Who first appeared in colour with the first story to feature the 3rd Doctor as played by the late great Jon Pertwee!).

Okay I've waffled on enough but the reason i'm posting all this here is because Adam, the hero from that classic BBC1 series doesn't drive a stuffy Bentley? like what John Steed did in "The Avengers" or a dull Volvo like what "The Saint" drove, no Adam blasted about in a MKI Mini Cooper S (registration AA1000) and it was an expensive Radford converted model similar to that owned by top celebrities of the day like Peter Sellers, all The Beatles, The Monkees Mike Nesmith and Mick Jaggers etc, etc. In fact it features in the current issue of MiniWorld Magazine and the 2 main stars are photographed alongside it and the Mini definitely looks in better condition than they do! ;O)

Unfortunately like many black & white shows from the 1960's made by the BBC (including Doctor Who) not all the episodes still exist (don't ask!), but I believe all that does exist is included on this DVD box-set, plus a special extra feature all about Adams Mini Cooper S (AA1000) too! And if the DVD box set has been digitally restored by the BBC's Restoration Team (which I think it has) to the standard of their Doctor Who DVD releases, then it should be a truly excellent product also.

And for more information on the series and AA1000:-

You can get it from Play:-

Or Amazon:-
Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Thanks Taff, Really interesting stuff you posted there mate, besides helping people with mini related problems, you post some really interesting reading, Cheers Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Well i'm just glad i'm not boring everyone, but yes I thought you all might be interested to hear about a super hero who drove a real original Mini Cooper S!

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

You are boring me. What "super hero" are you talking about?

Reply to
Madmax