Vote Mini

WTF, whats Grand theft auto doing in a list of British icons? for thoes who don't know what it is its a computer game that involves driving around a city running over & killing as many people as possible to get points :-(

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

"Steve68s" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Here's a reply I gave to a brain dead Continental who thinks Mini's are funny on the message board for the design quest site:-

Well James_Joule or whatever your name is, if you've seen the classic movie The Italian Job (1969) (which you probably have and taken offence no doubt) it's the British that's laughing at you continentals mate! And my Mini doesn't get laughed at, most people with a brain including children marvel at it. And as for Issigonis, he moved to Britain as a child and was educated here, he became a British citizen for gods sake and the team working under him designing the Mini were all British and the car was manufactured in Britain. Ok demand in the 1960's and 1970's was so great we couldn't keep up so component parts were sent to other countries around the world and they manufactured it themselves. The truth is this amazing car was only conceived to offer the British public an affordable sensible alternative to the crude and dangerous bubble cars that littered the roads of the 1950's (one was coincidentally made by BMW and called the Isetta!), but soon it was winning all the rallies and races thanks to John Cooper and the Mini Cooper S and was seen driven by top celebrities, royalty even and became the first truly classless car and it then starred and was immortalised in The Italian Job movie, yes this little car surpassed all expectations and was even nominated for Car of the 20th Century and Greatest Car of All Time! It's concept of transverse mounted engine and front wheel drive has since been copied by all other motor manufacturers, (Issigonis showed them all how it should be done, still laughing now?) but none have packaged it all so well. It's something for us British to be proud of and the shape still looks great today and it's still the ultimate car for parking/shopping and driving through towns and cities. In fact it was so good the Germans stole the name and currently use it to promote their rather lacklustre hatchback, which I doubt will have the same appeal in 50 years time! Want all the Mini facts? Look here:

He then went on to say in a separate post how toilet paper should be put forward as a great design, so I replied by telling him "yes then you could use it to wipe your mouth because you talk a load of shit!"

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

GTA the game is produced by a British company and is one of the most successful game series of all time. Regardless of what you think of the content, you can't argue with the stats, and the games (again regardless of content) are pretty amazing.

Gordon Welsh

Oh yes it turns out he owns a 65 MGB, so no doubt he's a tad peeved that's not featured and he reminds me of Marky a bit too, he just gives views without thought or substance and refuses to accept the truth.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy