HELP! SPi to normally aspirated timing information PLEASE

Hi,

Has anyone ever converted a late 1.3SPi 1275 Mini engine to normally aspirated plus electronic ignition? I have just fitted a modern A series with HIF44, K&N air filter, LCB and

2" exhaust. It has the dizzy replaced with a Metro 42664A distributor with the electronic ignition module on it's side. However I would like to know what the timing point for this setup is. The Haynes manual says 13 degrees for a 1275. The Rover manual for the (non SPi version of this) engine says 5 Degrees! It can't pull the skin off a rice pud @ 5 degrees and seems much better at 13, but not 'full of urgency' like I expected. If anyone has either done this conversion successfully or has some genuine figures I would be very grateful!

In anticipation....Dave

Reply to
Dave Bullock

The best would be to get it setup on a rolling road.

Reply to
TurboJo

I agree with Turbojo,

i recommend mick barrat in lincoln if close, any good mini friendly road will do it though, what you could try is advancing it yourself until it revs the most, then back it off a fraction and try that.

there is no hard and fast setting for timing on an A series- its whatever suits really.

RS

Reply to
RS

Right, as a *bodge* it way of getting good ignition timing when mixing engines and dizzy's I used to get the engine running, leave the vacuum pipe ON the dizzy (workshop manuals say timing is set with pipe OFF normally), then hold the engine close to 2500rpm as you can. Slightly loosen the dizzy bolt and slowy rotate dizzy both ways until a maximum engine speed can be reached without altering throttle, nip up the dizzy bolt and off you go. Good not excellent mind. Make sure engine's upto temp.

If you know the dizzy is the correct item for the engine then use the workshop manual figures as the advance weights in the dizzy will be tailored for the cam etc.

I would expect the 'lack of urgency' to be the need to get the right needle/jet/spring fitted to the carb - something a good rolling road will sort out.

Peter Baldwin - mini miglia champ - is near Royston, Herts. Excellent by all accounts.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

The 42664A was used on the unleaded Metro which makes it a 65DM4. These were used from '85 - on.

From the manual :

'85-'87 13 deg. BTDC for low compression engine '85-'87 7 to 9 deg. BTDC for Standard compression engine '89-on 12 to 14 deg. BTDC for low compression engine '89-on 2 deg. BTDC for Standard compression engine

Some special models used other settings but these are for the common models. Standard compression is 9.75 : 1, low compression is 8.0 : 1.

These should be good starting points but as others have said a rolling road is best.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher