Shipping new shell to US

Has anyone had experience shipping Complete shells to US. Was quoted 2700 pounds shipping because a special container was required seems a bit high when a shell is about 2300 excluding vat. Thanks Les

Reply to
Da

I can't tell you specifically about shipping a new shell. Several people in the local club had a container shipped into the U.S. with 2 pickups, one sedan and a lot of parts. I believe that the total shipping charge was very close to 2700UKP possibly a bit less.

Your best bet might be to find others who need to ship cars or bulky/heavy items and split the expense of a container. We used Phoenix International and I have heard good things about them from others. Keep in mind that I wasn't the principal in this shipment so I don't know all of the details.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

Dear Readers, I 'm quoting:

ROLL ON/ROLL OFF CAR TRANSPORTER SERVICE TO HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA freight cost £1000.00

You must arrange the delivery of the car to Southampton docks. You are also responsible for arranging collection and customs clearance from Halifax, paying any charges which may be applicable in Canada.

OR

1 X 20FT CONTAINER FROM LONDON TO ARRIVAL AT TORONTO DEPOT total cost £2750.00 - you'll get more than one car into that!

This price is up to arrival at the depot only. You are responsible for arranging customs clearance and collection from the depot paying any local charges which may be applicable. These are nearest equivalent to FOB - 'Free on Board'. not CIF - NOT 'Carriage, Insurance and Forwarding' (I think). We are unable to offer insurance ourselves but can put you in touch with a broker if required. It's not cheap! A 40ft ISO Container usually costs £3000 to anywhere in the world and you can 'consolidate' your load with others but you must accept that damage could occur. Is it worth it? Depends..... if it was my own car I'd do it. I hope that this information is helpful to you but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

best regards

Cashman

Reply to
TC

You'll have to be clever to get more than one car into a 20' container. Last I remembered a mini was 10'4" long. Now if one were upside down, the bonnets (hoods) could overlap, but I don't know that you'd fit one on top of another within the height of a container.

Reply to
rickety

Rickety - you're quite right!! You take the bumpers off and they might just fit - without the shrink-wrap. I was wrong! Sorry.

Reply to
TC

I shipped a Unipower 1275 from Netherlands (where I had been working) to Canada by Mitsubishi Roll-on Roll-off ferry, but that was a drivable car (once you could squeeze inside). Then I shipped it to South Africa along with household possessions in a 40' container. The moving company was very well prepared and built a big "shelf" over the car to load more stuff above it.

Then when I moved back to Canada I decided to sell the Unipower, but instead of a buyer in South Africa, one in Denver came along, so (although at his expense) I helped ship it probably on the same boat, via Mitsubishi ro-ro to Atlanta.

I think that car did more miles over seas than it did on the road!

Reply to
rickety