Anyone have a "new" MexiBeetle?

I'm looking at purchasing an imported 2003 old sytle Bug from Mexico. Anyone have any experience with this? I've heard some say that you can't title them in the US as 2003s because they don't meet 2003 safety standards, so you swap tunnels with an older (pre-1977) and title it as that year with the old tunnel VIN. Yet someone else I ran in to said they were able to bring one in and title it in WA as a

2003.... Seems strange to me.

I've found a place on the internet that seems very nice in conversations I've had and seems on the up and up. classicvwbeetle.trippod.com

There's also a place called btlmex.com that I sent an e-mail to about a week ago but haven't heard back from them.

Any experience/guidances/insite would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
ismlv

Ben Boyle

Until the folks at btlmex learn to pack boxes for shipping for the parts they sell, I can't recommend them. Newspaper?.. Heard of it?.. Use it!

Reply to
David Gravereaux

That's for a new one. You could ask them what they would do with a

1998-2002 fairly unused model. You locate one for a few thousand dollars and drag it to their shop. I'd think maybe $4-5K for the swap plus the couple of k for the used Bug.

It wouldn't be new, but it would be certainly better than a 25 year old one.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Beetlemex is alitttle slow, but there parts are cheap. I usually end up calling them 2 or 3 times before Miguel wakes up and sends my stuff. I have a '99 Mexi, open-air, great car, but my '75 standard will run circles around it. I had to take my Mexi for emission testing, they didn't know what to do with it, finally the guy said get it out of here. Last I heard from them.

Reply to
VW66HOF78

I heard that different states have different laws regarding licensing and insuring these cars. I have heard of cases in the northern states where people have licensed them without any problem without pan swap.

Reply to
JTD

Iowa is not a good state for a vehicle inspection prior to title transfer.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik