Steering and suspension

Hi All,

Yet another question for you!

Can some one tell me what points and areas to look at please as my Mini shakes and rattles about at 50 through to 60 MPH. (1989 110,000 mile mini) I have replaced all of the rear suspention componants in order to stop the car from "crabbing" along the road (bent radius arm and corroded pivot pins) and now I am sorting out the front. I have changed the steering bushes which were broken, changed both knuckle's on the suspension cones and now I have changed the front tie rod bushes. I have no play in the wheel bearings and new ball joints top and bottom both sides.

This is really starting to throw me, I only drive at 50-60 mph in the mini so as you can imagine this is very anoying and I dont think my dental work can hold on for much longer!.

Any Ideas? All opinions will be helpful.

Cheers,

Dick Jones.

1989 Rover Mini Thirty
Reply to
DJ

To me shakey steering = unbalanced wheels. even if you balanced them when the tyres were new wear unbalances them ! whip your fronts to a good tyre place mate

Reply to
RS

Yeah and get the tracking checked too whilst your there!

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

In message , RS writes

Or possibly a bulge (where the plys have delaminated) on any one of the tyres

Reply to
David Toft

I agree with all other posters, start where the car touches the road,,,,, Tyres, ? I always start here and eliminate or rectify at this point, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Thanks guys, I have since "borrowed" the wifes alloys and tyres and the problem is almost sorted, I have play in the steering rack gearing and column bushes are dry and cracked! So new tyres have been ordered, looks like i'm spending tomorrow morning swearing at trackrod ends!

Cheers again,

Dick Jones

Reply to
DJ