tuning an injection cooper

i have a twin point cooper and was wondering how to tune it for better performance. i have already fitted exhaust and k&n replacement airfilter, i was wondering what the next ugrade would be, without paying out silly money I have previously owned a 1275 carb and found this to be much easier to mod. cheers

Reply to
RS

not very nice to tune as ecu is a bit unhappy if you tinker too much!

Cheapest option is to put an MG Metro engine in it, you can then play properly without spending too much money! No but seriously...... Bang for buck?

Change the final drive to something resembling sanity if it has that dodgy 2.9 in it! (still an engine out job though!)

Hi lift rockers

inlet manifold

cam (not too mad as ecu plays silly buggers with running otherwise)

cylinder head

NITROUS!!!!!!! that would work

straight cut box (cut down on gear losses)

That is all assuming that you keep the stock ecu and fuelling system

have fun!

Reply to
miniman

I've fitted the MED upgrade kit to mine, and find its great. 1:5 ratio rockers, ported head etc, K&N filters and exhaust system. Cost me about 1000GBP. Mini Sport also do a chip kit which Im told can give a boost. I've stuck with the 2:75 diff though as I like the longer legs for highway/open road driving.

Failing that John Cooper Garages will still do the S works package. "RS" wrote in message news:mWWOe.662$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net... i have a twin point cooper and was wondering how to tune it for better performance. i have already fitted exhaust and k&n replacement airfilter, i was wondering what the next ugrade would be, without paying out silly money I have previously owned a 1275 carb and found this to be much easier to mod. cheers

Reply to
Tim

Well, you've done the obvious things first, which is a good start. Does the exhaust include the manifold (lcb) and the link to the cat, or is it just from the cat back? If the latter, do the former next. I've found that this set-up provides by far the biggest chunk of the missing bhp compared to the 90 brake Cooper S Works. If you want to go the whole hog, the next - and more expensive - stage is replacement head and high lift rockers. Not sure it's worth it, personally.

Incidentally, the ecu on these cars is not very flexible and may not like your changes. A low-throttle flat spot is a common complaint. I have found that the switch to an aluminium throttle body makes a big difference to driveability....although goodness knows why.

Regards, David Betts snipped-for-privacy@minilist.org The Mini Gallery:

David Betts

Some isp's (like mine) wont carry the message if it has an attachment.

The Muffin Man

Reply to
The Muffin Man