220 GTi 16v tuning questions (newbie)

I've just bought a J reg 220 GTi 16v twin-cam (non turbo)

On the drive home my it was evenly matched with my brothers 216 G?i (K reg) - when it should be much faster.

OKay, I know tha tthe ECU has to adapt to my "driving style" and the engine needs to be "worn in" as it's been driven slowly in the past. But anyone any ideas on how to tune in?

Firstly any free mods (ie. a good way to get mixture/co/timing ratio correct - specifically to 220s not generally of course)

Secondly where's the best way to get extra power spending a little cash. I.e. air flow / exhaust / carb / chip -I really don't wanna spend a lot, but am hoping there are little 220 "tricks" like there was with my old golf (i.e. modifying airbox with a drill and hammer - grin)

Cheers

Reply to
Aaron Whiffin

The best thing to do before spending money on mods is to treat the car to a full service (plugs, leads etc.) and see if this helps.

Reply to
Y Plas