1991 Mitsu Eclipse Timing belt

The timing belt of my nephew's 1991 mitsu Eclipse broke while he was driving it. The question: Is this an engine that bends the valves when this happens, or or did he get lucky and is only looking at just a belt replacement job?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Mercury

No, he's 99% certainly bent a few valves. The head has to come off. Replace the balance belt, idlers and waterpump at the same time.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
ismail

Isn't the 1.8 a non interference engine? No one asked?

Reply to
James Noone

It is a non interference engine, the belt is about $35-$40 aftermarket and it takes an afternoon to DIY....

Reply to
Outlander

Thanks for the reply. Now, as you can see, I have conflicting answers to my question. Where can I get official confirmation that this is a non-interference engine? Will the repair manuals have that information?

Reply to
Mercury

Just go to the Gates Manufacturing site (belt makers) and find their list of applications. They have a little symbol that tells you which engines are interference or not.

Reply to
Outlander

Unfurtunately he has a 2.0L. Interference engine. What would a machine shop charge to fix this head, if we pulled it ourselves and took it to them? How much would the gaskets cost?

Reply to
Mercury

Ouch! The 2.0.....Well what can you do? Anyway I would just get a remanufactured head and use the old one for a core. That way you get a warranty. There are MANY places that reman heads......

Reply to
Outlander

that engine bends valves 99%of the time! No luck!!!

Reply to
dudley1980

Actually he could be in that 1 % group, then he'd be reeeeeeeeel lucky.

Reply to
Nirodac Yar