1992 Mits. Expo 2.4 L no spark.

Hello, While driving down the highway, my expo just died and would not start. The injectors are getting fuel. I pulled the dist. cap and found that the contact that contacts the rotor from the coil had broken off and fell into the bottom of the cap. I assumed this was the problem and replaced the cap and rotor, but it still will not start. Just to rule them out, I also replaced the plugs and wires including the coil wire to the cap. I pulled one of the plugs and had and turned it over to see if there was spark at the plug and there was not. I am leaning toward a possible bad coil, but need to know how to check it first.

Thanks,

Jason

Reply to
sjjoseph

If your 92 has the 4G64 SOHC-8v engine (plugs on the FRONT of the head), I seem to recall that it has a separate coil under intake plenum chamber, and a "normal" distributor. Something else in the distributor or the coil or even the ECU could be faulty.

If your 92 has the 4G64 SOHC-16v engine (plugs on the TOP of the head), then the distributor contains the coil, and its the most likely cause of the problem. Check with a wrecker for replacement parts. An exchange rebuilt unit runs to about C$400.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS