1997 Proton persona 1.6 sei head gasket

I just got this car a week ago and i have noticed that there is oil coming form under the car and it looks like it might be coming from the head gasket what my Question is can oil leak from the gasket on the out side of the head and if so does anyone have a good website to help in replacing the gasket ?

Reply to
DuTaz

DuTaz

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com ha scritto:

well, it's possible, especially after overheating of the engine, so you need to be careful: simple replacement might not be enough. you can find complete sets of spare parts on Ebay on at your local dealer, but imho it's better to check it out at a good workshop.

you have to check:

- water pump

- compression in the cylinders

- exhaust gases

and, if you decide to dismantle the engine head, it's mandatory to bring it to a specialized workshop to check if it is bent due to overheating and, if yes, to machine and bring to the original shape.

it is expensive, but definitely your engine will have a new life and the driving experience is much better.

I had the same trouble with my eclipse 16v.

andrea

Reply to
Andrea

Get some degreaser and clean off the oil and road dirt on the head and top of the block. This will help you identify where the oil is coming from.

Before you start pulling the head off, you should check the following

a) rocker cover gasket. Do NOT try tightening the rocker cover bolts: these are done up to a mere 12 ft-lbs or so, and you can easily strip the thread in the head.

b) Take off the front cam cover and check the camshaft front seal for leaks. It's a not uncommon problem.

If the oil is leaking out the head gasket, then I'd suspect the engine was overheated at some time, though it may simply be a gasket failure. Check the wet and dry compression to evaluate the possibility of a bad gasket.

If the head has to come off, get it serviced by a machine shop, including new valve stem seals and likely a surface grind.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS