2 pin vs 4 pin/Alternator Replace/help!

I went to a junkyard and purchased a refurbished alternator for my 95 mitsubishi galant. After yelling and screaming, and about 2 hours of my life, I got the old one off.

Essentialy there are three sets of wires. THere are two that get screwed onto the alternator, and there is a third (made up of a white and red cord) that is fitted with a plastic cap that allows it to be 'plugged' (as opposed to screwed) into the alternator.

Problem is: The new alternator recieves a plastic cap with 4 prongs, where as the old (original) one only had 2 prongs.

The junkyard swears its a 95 mits galant alternator. But I can't plug the wire into the new one.

Where do I go from here? Is the junkyard lieing? Can i just buy the plastic cap that fits the new one and re-wire it to work?

The other item of note is that when mounted, the original one plugged into the side, and the new one plugs into the front. Other than that the alternators 'look' identical.

THANK YOU TO THE PERSON WHO CAN END MY ALTERNATOR NIGHTMARE!!

-Lee

Reply to
Lee Nelson