2002 Galant heat not working

The heat on my 2002 Galant has stopped working just in time for winter. For some time it had been erratic and would only work if the temperature knob
was turned all the way to cold before you started the car, and then turned to heat afterwards. When the heat did start working, it was accompanied by a sound like a fan blade with something stuck in it. I have checked the fuse and dismantled half the dashboard checking for loose or shorted wiring and found nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?

Have you checked the heater fan?
Stewart DIBBS www.pixcl.com/lancerproject.htm
My 2003 Galant has exactly the same problem. What have you found out so far?
Sounds like the heater water valve control motor. This shuts off the water flow to the heater core when the a/c is used. Its probably sticking or stuck closed. Makes a ticking noise behind the dash when stuck. Follow the coolant hoses to the heater core and it will be in-line.
Joe D