2002 montero oil light stays on even through plenty of oil

Hi all, I was on my way back from dallas and the oil light started flickering and then stayed on, I checked the oil level and it was fine, so I drove on for about half a mile and pulled into a NTB and had them change the oil, after I left it was initially off but then started flickering again and then stayed on, luckily I was very close to home and was able to make it here.

THe oil level is still fine and the SUV never showed any problems with over heating......

before I take it to get looked at anyone have any ideas/suggestions I could check or advice as to what might be wrong? I want to go to the dealewr/repair shop informed.

thanks, dougc

Reply to
dougc

Could be a collapsed oil filter. Did the NTB shop replace the filter?

Could be the wire to the pressure sensor is loose or broken and is grounding out on the engine.

Could be a bad pressure sensor.

A garage will have a mechanical oil pressure gauge they can screw into the pressure sensor hole and measure what the oil pressure REALLY is. If its OK, then look at the pressure sensor and/or wiring.

If the pressure is fluctuating under load or at idle, or way lower than spec, then there's some sort of internal leak or blockage. This might be a) the oil pickup pipe is blocked with sludge in the sump. An oil change won't necessarily clear this. b) the oil pick up pipe is loose near the oil pump (can happen in the 4 cyl engines, not sure about the v6) c) the oil pick up pipe may have a failed gasket where it connects to the pump. This will cause the pump to cavitate. d) the oil pump may have picked up some grit and chewed itself up. Replace the oil pump. d) you have a bearing (main or thrust or big end) on the way out.

At the very least, you will have to get the sump off to have a good look.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

"dougc" wrote: > Hi all, > I was on my way bacjk from dallas and the oil light > started flickering and then stayed on, I checked the oil > level and it was fine, so I drove on for about half a mile and > pulled into a NTB and had them change the oil, after I left it > was initially off but then started flickering again and then > stayed on, luckily I was very close to home and was able to > make it here. > > THe oil level is still fine and the SUV never showed any > problems with over heating...... > > before I take it to get looked at anyone have any > ideas/suggestions I could check or advice as to what might be > wrong? I want to go to the dealewr/repair shop informed. > > thanks, > dougc

THe service engine light is not on .... was reading through some other posts and thought that maybe a error code was generated but alas no......

dougc

Reply to
dougc

Well you should really check the oil pressure with a real gage. Typically there are two senders. One for the gage and one for the light. If the connectors are loose, it will turn the light on. The connectors on most Mitsus are usually the slip on kind (they slip onto a button-like object) and are located at the oil filter housing.

It's unlikely that you have a real pressure problem, but a spun bearing would do it. I doubt that is the issue, but it's always a possibility with such a large vehicle and weak engine. Just trying to keep up with a VW could spin a bearing.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Doug: It's under warranty. Take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.

Bob Walker

Reply to
Walker