'89 Gallant 4cyl

hey group, my mon has an '89 Gallant 2.0 4G63 Engine and it needs motor mounts (the engine is twisting toward the front when i step on the gas). can anyone tell me how many there are and appx. cost to replace all or average cost of each. i see 1 in front and 1 in the rear, but are there more??

thanks...

mike.........

Reply to
JerseyMike

These are the roll stoppers. One in the front, one in rear. There's also the main engine mount next to the cam cover on the LHS that often breaks when old, and finally the gearbox mount on the RHS.

You front roll stopper is the most likely culprit. Get a used one from a wrecker 89-92 Eagle 2000 or Galant.

Go to Chrysler and get the part number(s) then head off to the nearest Mitsubishi dealer and pay 40% less for the same part from the same warehouse.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

There are 4 supports total, one mounted in front of the engine at the top with the letter "L" shaped metal thing bolted to the front of the engine block (near where the timing belt cover is), one at the rear and is mounted to the top of the transmission, and one on either side of the engine.

Most probably, what's worn on your car are the ones on either side, not the ones in front and back. Those are vibration dampers/isolators and look like donuts on lollipop sticks (only bigger). If I were you, I'd replace all 4 of them all at once since by experience (I've gone through 4 Galants, models '87 to '93), when one of them goes, the other follow close behind. It would save you a lot of time if you changed them all instead of doing it one at a time.

If you're a bit short on budget, and if you can live with the noise and vibrations it'll cause, you can just leave them be and wait until they all break down. The engine won't fall out anyway regardless of how beat up your engine mounts are. It'll get darned noisy after a while though...

Reply to
TeksEnSeks