97 Galant - Intermittent Horn problem

Hello, Several times this winter, I live in upstate NY, I had necessity to use the horn on my 97 Galant. 50% of the time it would not sound. Is it something about the cold or another underlining problem? No indicators lit, engine running fine, just no horn. Then unexpectedly it sounds again. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Corny :-(

Reply to
Corny S.

Sounds like it could be a bunch of different problems here, does the horn sound the same as before this problem started? If it sounds like a sick goose, the horn itself is going bad. The relay may be a culprit,or the switch in the steering whell pad. Its a mylar type thing that is similar to a keyboard. There is no replacing the horn switch without taking out and disassembling the aibag, if so equipped. Check the voltage at the horn with the switch depredded, no voltage narrows it to the latter two items i listed. The relay should be about 25.00.

Reply to
Glenn

Sorry about my last post, its too early on a Sunday for correct grammar. What I meant to say is that it may be one of the three problems I noted. It could also be a short in the wiring or in a connector but this is not likely.

Reply to
Glenn

"Glenn" wrote in news:WC1_b.82130$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyc.rr.com:

[SNIP]

Glenn, Thanks for the quick response. I was hoping for another answer. Yesterday evening there was no horn sounding at 18 Degrees F. This afternoon 37 Degrees F. horn is working again. I believe your right about the steering wheel. Hate to have to take the airbag apart. Well, what can one do? Again thanks! Corny

P.S. Don't worry about spelling. The answer is all that's important. I use three tools just to get me by. :-D

Reply to
Corny S.