Check Engine Fault 97 328 E36 convertible

Hi all, I hope someone can help with a weird problem. I have a '97 E36 328 convertible (~96K miles). Recently, the 'Check Engine' light has been coming on and the car seems to go into 'Safe mode' until I take my foot off the gas; this happens after about 10-12 miles (in the AM), sooner in the afternoon on my return home. I've taken the car to my mechanic (he does only BMW and he is stumped); once, he found a 'throttle link' code indicating a lack of communication between the transmission and the throttle (he reset the sensor), but several other times there are no error codes. We have read all the systems (with the little scanner) several times, including without shutting the car off.

Any ideas about what this could be would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I live in Miami, so I am thinking it may be some sort of temperature-related fault.

Thanks Al

Reply to
Al Ritchie

Al Ritchie