A/C Compressor - how to replace- 1989 Galant, automatic, Base Model, 4 Cylinder, SOC

My A/C stopped working, now when I turn it on I hear this noise from the A/C Compressor. Last year I had the system converted to R134 from R12.
How do I make sure it's the compressor? If it is the compressor can I change it myself....well then I will end up having the system vacummed and charged again...another $150.00 for this, on top top of the compressor. In one site I saw thsi compressor for $393.00.
I have 165,000 on this.

Most likely its the compressor clutch thats rattling ie failed. It difficult but not impossible to change without taking the compressor off. It may also be the drive belt thats com off, or the tensioner pully bearing has failed. Might also be the main cracnk pulley (balancer) has separated and wobbling.

Yes if the compressor has to come off for service or the system is decompressed.

Yes, unless its just the clutch or the tensioner pulley.
Take it to the shop...
Stewart DIBBS
First find out what the problem is.
If you need another compressor, you may find a decent one in a junkyard. I don't know the difficulty in changing them on your car, but if you end up swapping it out, check out Jiffylube for having it recharged. Before I bought my own gauges, they seemed to have to best price. You can rent a vacuum pump for A/C from some rental places. They also may have the gauges. If you go that route, don't forget to add the proper oil to the system.

difficult
also
failed.
wobbling.
On Friday, May 14, 2004 10:02:54 AM UTC+7, mtom01 wrote:

may be you can clean your compresor machine for clear noise from the A/C compressor may be you can look abaout compressor machine like Pro-Force VPF1080318 3-Gallon Oil Free Air Compressor with Kit here http://j.gs/3HEy