? about the "wastegate"

ok this is my 2nd eclipse the first was not turbo this one is and i have a few questions. first is the wastegate the same thing as a blow-off valve and is there anyway to lube it because from what i hear mine is sticking the car runs fine but sometimes when i stop at a light and go to take off the car seems to bog down it sounds fine and the turbo gauge is up there between 7 and 14 but it doesn't speed up like it should. also any advice about changeing the water pump would be great i have a leak some where around it . thanks in advance M

Reply to
mike and dena

Please include the year and engine size of the eclipse. Things vary quite a bit between the 1st Gen mits (91~94) and the 2nd Gen mits (95~98).

But for a quick answer, no the waste gate is not the same thing as a blow off valve. Check

for a more thorough explanation. It may not be the waste gate that would be affecting the performance of the car. Have you tried looking at the O2 sensor or the spark plugs. Have you done a compression test?

The only reason why I ask is because I have never heard of a mits turbo waste gate failing. It really is a stupid simple soleniod.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpfull, CMF

Reply to
Chris Ferris

it's a 90 eclipse 2.0 thanks for your help M

Reply to
mike and dena

Quite honestly I have never changed a water pump for a 1990 Eclipse, but I have changed a water pump in a 95 Eagle Talon (equivilant to a 1995 Eclipse, just rebranded) and that has a 2.0 Turbo engine. And if they are anything like each other I would suggest against doing it yourself unless you are a talented mechanic. It is by far the most pain in the @$$ water pump I have ever replaced.

First, empty the coolant from the system by unscrewing the drain plug in the radiator.

You will have to remove both drive accessories belts.

Remove at least 1 Idle pulley on the upper left region of the engine that overlaps the timing belt cover.

Remove the Crankshaft Pulley.

Remove the timing belt cover taking care to mark/remember which bolts belong in which holes (they vary in length).

Loosen a Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley and Remove the Timing belt taking EXTREME care not to move ANY of the pulleys and gears. If you move any of them you will need to redo the timing on the car.

If I remember correctly it is 4 (maybe 5) bolts holding the water pump in place. Remove them and use a catch basin to collect the coolant that exits from the water pump (use a big basin).

Replace the Water pump and follow the steps in reverse. Tighten the Timing Belt Tensioner so that the Timing belt that is stretched over the Camshaft Pulleys doesn't rebound from an aggressive tap of your fingers.

If you feel uncomfortable with ANY of this, see a mechanic or a dealer. Believe me it's worth the money.

Cheers, CMF

Reply to
Chris Ferris

first off, welcome to the world of dsm turbos! do you have a factory manual or manual cd? you'll need one :) i doubt you have a problem with either your compressor by-pass valve (blow off valve) or your wastegate. you stated are making boost. you can't build pressure with either of these devices open . the difference between the two is this: a compressor by-pass valve, releases the pressure built up in the intake when the throttle closes. pressure waves can actually reflect off of the throttle plate and feed back into the turbo, crashing into the turbine wheel and damaging it. the c.b.v. on your car vents back into the intake just behind the air meter. the compressor by-pass valve is on the "cold" side of the system. a wastegate is a device that controls the amount of boost you are able to develop by diverting part of the exhaust through the wastegate valve and by-passing the turbo. wastegates can be either internal or external. your wastegate is an internal type that vents into the oxygen sensor housing that sits between the turbo and the downpipe. wastegates are on the "hot" side of the system. heat cracks are very common in the mitsu turbine housing, especially around the wastegate hole but they never seem to be a problem.

when is the last time this car had plugs and an air filter?

follow this link to

there are very complete intructions on the timing belt-water pump job inside. you can decide if it's something you wish to deal with. you are going to have to perform a timing belt job because your water pump is behind the timing belt and it's gotta' come off.

don't wait for the pump to gack.

Reply to
simpleton